Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day 2009





What a special Mother's Day! Kirk was ordained an Elder today. I think that's a pretty good Mother's Day gift. To top that off... right after he was ordained he got to stand in the circle as I was set apart for my Primary calling. It has been since January that I have been a Primary teacher, but I just forgot to get set apart for it. I guess there was a reason for that...



Our Stake High Councilman Mark Harvey conducted the whole setting apart thing and asked me if I would bear my testimony. I was caught off guard and was really feeling put on the spot with that panicky feeling. That doesn't happen to me too much except in math class. I don't remember all that I said, but I talked about how my primary lesson today was about "Faith" and even though I was not raised a Christian and did not know much about God, I had faith and believed that there was such a thing as God and heaven that my friends told me about. I did not know or believe that I was a child of this God. I said I was thankful for 2 missionaries at Temple Square who gave me my first Book of Mormon and I was thankful that that night I began to read it even thought I laughed about getting the book when I showed my mom what I got. I was thankful that when I began asking my friends questions about the Book of Mormon they knew what I needed and so they set me up to have the missionary discussions. I said I was thankful for the two missionaries who taught me and helped me to know who I was, where I came from, why I was here, and where I was going and baptized me a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I bore testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and how Heavenly Father sent it to us because he knew it is what we needed here on Earth at this time and that it brings people to our Father and Jesus Christ. I wish I could remember all the things I testified of... I testified of Joseph Smith restoring the gospel and bringing back the priesthood ordinances so that his work can continue. I testified of how becoming a member of the church has made all the difference in my life and as I look at our family what a difference it has made for each one of us. Because 2 elders taught me the gospel, look what else became of it. The work of missionaries changed the destination of our family. I spoke of being grateful that now Kirk, you get to become an elder and can be a missionary and help do the same thing for other people and help change the destination of their generations. (Really I did not intend for this post to be this long today.) Phil ordained Kirk an Elder. Because we are not the big "Mormon Family" all that were there in the circle of Kirk's ordination were: Phil, Bishop Hansen, Brother McKinstry, Brother Hackbarth, Mark Harvey, Tom Ingraham, Aaron Edwards, & Allan Bennett.

We had my family over for dinner tonight. This is a picture of what my sister got my mom and I for Mother's day.



Phil got me a gift card for Kohls. Guess whose going shopping tomorrow??? The card was really cute too. The kids gave me some of my favorite candies. Dawson gave me the cute stuff that kids make in their class at school. It was a folder with all of these papers that he had written things about me. Like I'm as nice as a fuzzy kitten, I'm as helpful as a helping robot, etc.

I had a great day today. Thanks you guys! I love you all!!!


2 comments:

  1. Tell Kirk congrats!!!!!! We have small circles too......Kyle was ordained a deacon a few weeks ago it was just Kelly, the bishopric, his new leaders and one of Emily's friends so don't feel too bad that you don't have the "the big mormon family" because we don't either.

    I am glad you had a nice Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm going to try this again! Hope it works! Can I just tell you how much I love your conversion story?! Every time you share it, I am in awe! That is awesome about Kirk and him being there for you. Trav loves that kid.....he is always telling me how faithful he is in coming to mission prep. That says a lot about the kind of missionary he will be and the dedication he will have! You and your family are incredible examples to me. I've told you this before, but it is such a privilage for me to be one of McCall's leaders, what an amazing Young Woman! Thanks for trusting me with her!! I love your blog....you've done a great job....no one would know you're a beginner! Thanks for all of your sweet notes on mine! Happy be-lated Mother's Day! (Just so you know, McCall shared a beautiful testimony about you yesterday in YW.....she truly loves and admires you....you are her hero and I love that!)

    ReplyDelete