Sunday, June 14, 2009

Steamboat Springs Mountain Magic Tournament


I woke up Saturday morning and went for a run on the Yampa River trail. I met a lady from Sacramento who I ran with for a while because we couldn't figure out where the detour for the trail was. She told me she saw a bear yesterday. I said, "ON THE TRAIL?!" She said that she saw it while she was out running in the neighborhood near her condo she's staying at. I'm thinking okay at least the bear is not lurking around the trail. I found myself for the past two days while running feeling like I was sucking air. I felt like I was hardly running fast, but yet gasping for air as if I had been running like the bionic woman. I'm thinking that maybe it's the elevation factor... or I just really stink at running.

McCall had a game at 2:00. We went to get some lunch and then headed over to the ball park. We apparently just missed the bear that was there up in a tree along the trail (yeah, the one I had ran on that morning). All of the tourists were going crazy about this bear, while all the locals were just going about their business. The policeman that was there said there were about 20 bears that frequent the town. They walk down main street all the time. Too bad I missed all the bear action... Sorry no pics of Yogi or Boo-Boo.

When we were getting all of our gear out of the car at the ball park this SUV was driving around the parking lot. It's windows were all painted with "ICE 94" which was the team McCall was to play against. They had their windows down and they were blasting some rap music. I said something to McCall about them being "gangsters". She said, "Well I don't know how straight up "G" you can be in Steamboat Springs." After the team SUV drove around again McCall realized that the song they were playing was "Ice, Ice, Baby". Well, apparently I was somewhat right about the team being gangsters. They played very dirty and the pitcher tried to start a rumble at home plate with one of our players as she slid into home plate. Boy did she ever have a "tude" and talk about cocky. Sadly we lost to them by 1 to a whole bunch (12). The Pirates won their next game, but lost the one after that. They ended up taking 3rd place. While McCall was out playing in left field during their last game, the whole ICE 94 team had these water guns and they were all trying to shoot at her and get her wet. McCall being the nice person she is didn't say anything to her coaches about the incident. She did say something to one of the other players who in turn let it be known to the coaches. McCall's coaches talked to the ICE coach about what her team was doing to McCall as she was trying to play. One of the mom's told the coach that she should be ashamed of her team and herself. We've never played a team with such poor sportsmanship as the ICE. They ended up winning the Championship. ):


Dawson and I went for a walk on the trail to see the hot pots that I noticed on my run that morning, while we waited for the games to start. As I was running I was wondering what that funky smell was... On my way back to the hotel I noticed the hot pot and then I knew what that funky smell was. The sweet smell of sulfur (aka: rotten egg smell).

Hurry up and take the picture! I can't stand the smell!


We ate dinner at a Mexican restaurant called "Tequila's". No, we didn't have tequila but we did have some really good burritos. Along with the chips and salsa that the waiter brought out to us was this cabbage looking stuff. McCall asked, "What is that?" I said, "I don't know.", then I tried the stuff. I said, "It tastes like Mexican coleslaw." Later, I asked the waiter what the stuff was called. He said, "I don't know.", but then proceeded to tell me what was in it and then gave me some background on what it's called in Mexico (was kind of hard at times to understand what he was saying because of his Spanish accent). We had to get a picture of the light above the table because it was a sombrero chandelier.

Living la vida loca at Tequila's.

Yummy chips, salsa & Mexican coleslaw!

Check out the sweet sombrero light!

We had a fun time even though we had to make a few last minute travel/accommodation changes. We found a new place that we could vacation at. I forgot to tell about the funny "Dawson experience". Thursday night after Dawson had taken a bath I went into the bathroom and said, "Did you wash your hair?" He said, "Yes." I said, "What did you wash it with?" He comes into the bathroom and picks up this bottle sitting on the side of the tub and said, "I used this, but I had to use a lot! I bust out laughing saying, "That's mouthwash! No wonder you had to use a lot. Didn't you read the bottle?" Now McCall is laughing her head off. She smells his hair and asks, "Is your head burning?" I said, "Is it tingling?" I look at the bottle of shampoo and conditioner and they are some mint scent. So I say, "Well his hair would have smelled the same if he used the shampoo because it is mint scented." Yep, never a dull moment with Dawson around.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't worry about the mouthwash in his hair, unless he starts using a toothbrush to comb it. And if he gargles with shampoo and burps bubbles, well, time for the doctor!

    ReplyDelete