Monday, June 8, 2009

First Graduating Class of Syracuse High 2009





The past 3 weeks have been questionable on whether or not Kirk would be part of the first graduating class of Syracuse High. It wasn't until Wednesday (6/3) that we knew he officially was graduating. If you read my facebook entry for Friday (6/5) which said, "By the sweat of his brow, Kirk is graduating tonight! Whew!" I was not joking one bit. Only it was more like by the sweat of my brow... We have to thank Kirk's resource teacher Mrs. Niederhauser for helping and caring about Kirk by going over and beyond her teaching job to see that he graduated. She had a backup credit that could be used in case Kirk didn't bring his guitar grade up. She was so helpful to Phil and I too! We are grateful for teachers like her who have saw Kirk as more than just another student in the class.


I have been so busy trying to get Kirk graduated that I didn't have time to think about the feelings that I had about him graduating. Needless to say, while sitting in the Dee Events Center during the graduation program all the memories of Kirk and I sitting at the kitchen counter counting M&M's as he did his math and other homework hit me. So there I am... tears gushing down my cheeks (true Deana style). I was a mess, but by the time Kirk's name was called to get his diploma (which was really only the diploma holder, he had to get his diploma after the graduation was over), I was tear free.
We found Kirk after the graduation was over and took some pictures. Kirk came up to the Dee Events Center with his friends and so as we were getting ready to leave to go home he hands me his diploma and says, "Here will you take this home?" I said, "Well, you're going home you can just take it." He said, "Well, I don't want it to get messed up." I'm sure he was thinking in his mind, "I'd better give this to my mom to keep safe because I all most messed up not getting it."





For those people who don't think that God preforms miracles on Earth today... The above experience was a bit of a miracle from our Heavenly Father. Kirk had to do his part, but I think the Lord's hand was also involved. Now it's time to finish those mission papers!
Congratulations Kirk!!!
We love you!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for Kirk!! I will be going through the same thing with Kyle for sure!

    ReplyDelete