Thursday, August 6, 2009

Back to School, Insect Sting, Snowbird Retreat & Shopping (Of Course)



So I haven't been blogging for awhile... Year round school started on July 20th which meant that Dawson went back to school and I went back to work. Dawson got a 2 week summer vacation and I was lucky and got a 3 week summer vacation.

Dawson's first day of 4th grade started out with getting stung by a bee or wasp (not sure which it was) as he got to school. This was no big deal because Dawson is always getting stung or so we thought... The next morning Dawson said "My arm is swollen." I looked at it and to my surprise his whole forearm was indeed swollen. I touched it and it was hard and hot! I took him to the doctor that afternoon and the doctor said that it was probably some type of reaction to the sting. Dr. Rees was asking Dawson questions about what happened. Dawson says, "Here's the story..." and he proceeds to recount the whole scenario. By this time Dr. Rees is chuckling saying to himself "Here's the story..." as Dawson is rambling on. He tells Dawson, "Dawson you just made my day!" We got 2 prescriptions and a couple of days later Dawson's arm was back to normal size and temperature (as Dawson puts it). Silly me I didn't get a picture of his amazingly swollen forearm.

Last Friday McCall and I went with my sister to Snowbird. My sis had a retreat to go to for her work and so she invited us to go. Really she needed someone to babysit the kids of the other people who were at the retreat while they listened to a guest speaker that evening. It was worth it. We got a pass to do all the activities (alpine slide, zip line, Peruvian lift, tram, mechanical bull, bungee trampoline jump, rock wall), lunch, dinner (prime rib), breakfast, a nights stay in a condo, beautiful mountain scenery, and up close wildlife.

I was brave and did the zip line. If you know me, you know that I do not do extreme things which involve hanging from the air at great heights with only a few canvas straps supporting me as I go speeding down a wire. It--- was --- AWESOME! The scariest part was at the end when you stopped because you're going fast and it doesn't feel like you are going to stop. You see the guy on the platform waiting to help you off the zip line and you think you are just going to plow right into him then all of a sudden your zip line hits the spring stoppers and "tadah" you stop. We had fun watching and feeding (which we weren't suppose to do) the little pot guts. Saturday morning when I went running I was heading back to the condo and there was a moose eating by the pond right next to the trail. I stopped to watch it and after awhile it walked over to the trail looked at me and went on its way across the parking lot. Hence the up close wildlife statement. Saturday afternoon we went shopping at the Fashion Place Mall and then went to Kohls. It was a fun girls weekend!


Ommmmm... gopher yoga.


Gopher checking out the Alpine Slide action.






Tram ride


Pot Gut eating an ice cream cone.



At the playground


Uhhhhh McCall, did you read the sign???








Fire Power!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like tons of fun!!! We are trying to get away up at Snowbird one of these days. We have some money to use up there for lodging and can't seem to find a weekend to get out of town.

    We still need to meet for dinner one of these weekends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like SOOO much fun! Way to go on the Zip line! I just may talk myself in to doing it now (next weekend), since you did it...I've got to now! :) What a fun girls weekend!

    ReplyDelete